This tutorial describes how to use charts to visualize data in each report group.
Group Report Data
Do the following to group data in a report:
- Drop the field(s) you wish to group from the Field List onto the report’s Detail band e.g. ProductName
- Switch to the Properties panel and add a Group Header band to the report by clicking the corresponding button in the Actions category.
- Select the Group Header band and expand the Actions category. Then, in the Group Fields section, click the Add button to add a new grouping.
- Next, choose a data member across which the report is to be grouped (for example, the CategoryID field). Note that grouping across calculated fields is supported as well.
To manage the sorting order of the group’s items, use the corresponding arrow button.
- Drop the field you wish to group the data by (Category ID in this example) onto the Group Header to display group titles in the report.
Create a Chart
Do the following to add a chart to the report:
- Drop the Chart control from the Toolbox onto the Group Footer.
- Click Run Designer to invoke the Chart Designer. Locate the Series element in the chart elements tree and click the plus button. Select the view type (for example, Bar) in the invoked series type list.
- Specify the Argument Data Member and Value properties.
- Expand the Data Filters category and click the plus button to add a new data filter.
Set the filter’s Column Name and Value Binding properties to the field that is used as group criteria in the report (CategoryID in this example)
Only the Value Binding setting is taken into account when the Value and Value Binding properties are specified for a data filter.
Switch to Print Preview to see the resulting report.