Data contained in an Excel Spreadsheet or CSV filecan be imported into Nathean Analytics
Sample Budget Data to import:
To start create a new dataset, and select Excel as the dataset type
On the next page describe the source spreadsheet and where the data will be stored
- Table Name Free text so typing the name of the table which will store the excel data in the data mart.
- Select Files Button Used to select the excel from disk.
- Excel Sheet Name Once a spreadsheet is selected, this will contain the list of sheets from that spreadsheet. (if importing a CSV file, this will be the filename without the .csv extension)
- Header Row Number This is the number of the row on the top of the sheet which contains the field names of the data. In the example sheet above this would be row 1.
- Datamart Select the Data Mart the data is to be imported to from the drop down list (Note this only displays data connectors which are marked as data marts – ie data connectors into which we can save data. Data Connectors)
Pressing the Next button allows us to the add parameters at this time. We’re not going to do so at this point. Press the Next button again and Nathean Analytics will attempt to import the data. If it has any issues, it will report them at this stage. In this case we are presented with two fields. Note that the fields are all string fields as we cannot assume numeric data from a spreadsheet. You can change this, but we recommend not doing so. Instead, use this dataset for ETL and then create a query on top of the resulting table in which you convert the data.
Now press the Finish Button and you will be presented with the new dataset. Open on the test tab and press Test Query
The data is now loaded into a table in the datamart. This example is for a once off import, however: you can schedule a regular import of the data by setting the cache settings and specifying the file location on the Cache tab. See Scheduled Refresh of Excel Data for more detail.